“I was driving recently when a strangled gurgle erupted from the rear seat, where my eight-month-old daughter Esme might have been choking to death. This guttural “uurrrgh-blurrgh” continued for a heart-stopping second before she returned to her happy “ah-ba-ba-ba” song but I was shaken up by the incident to the extent that I signed up for a first aid course.”
For many of us, first aid knowledge is a bit like our recall of amazing scientific facts down the pub – bewilderingly vague. I never really gave my ignorance a second thought until I realised that as a father of twins it would be horrific if something went wrong and I couldn’t do anything about it.
See on www.guardian.co.uk